We are seeking individuals who are motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2024 team, for a seasonal Field Crew position! One or more seasons of previous farming experience is required.
Siena Farms’ Field Crew members are hard-working, committed, honest, passionate individuals who participate in many daily farm operations, including production, harvest and post-harvest handling. We expect our Field Crew members to approach tasks thoughtfully, embracing a team effort to achieve the farms’ goals for quality and efficient work, along with their own goals of developing their farming career through professional work experience.
Our Field Crew members take on key roles for specific projects and tasks, help train seasonal staff into a variety of harvest and production systems, and assist harvest and production managers as crew leaders on a regular basis.
This is a full-time, seasonal position with a flexible start date between early Spring and early Summer 2024, through a specific end date of November 26, 2024 (Thanksgiving week).
Areas of responsibilities for Field Crew members will include but are not limited to the following;
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting in the fields
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing & thinning
- Involvement in mushroom, cut-flower, and specialty crop production as well as our larger scale veggie production.
- Assisting Siena Farms production managers in the training and leading of seasonal staff through various field work tasks
- Daily harvest of our 150+ varieties of vegetables, fresh herbs, mushrooms and flowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting produce
- Assisting Siena Farms harvest managers in the training and leading of seasonal staff through daily and weekly harvest tasks
Distribution & Outreach
- Preparation and packing of orders for restaurant deliveries and our retail stores in Boston
- Preparation and packing of CSA Farm Shares for pickup and distribution
- Participation in farm outreach events such as CSA member farm-tours & volunteer days
Networking & Planning
- Group field walks during the season with Farmer Chris and farm managers to learn from the fields and crops themselves
- Support in developing opportunities for continuing to farm after the completion of season, post-Thanksgiving 2024, whether at Siena Farms or elsewhere
Our Field Crew members, like all of our employees, are held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional agricultural work ethic and schedule.
- Position is seasonal with start dates between early Spring and early Summer 2024, and an end date at Thanksgiving 2024.
- Hours average 40 hours/week spread over 4 days per week in the “cold months” (December through March), and average 50 hours / week spread over 5 days in the “warm months” (April through November). Daily schedule is 7am – 5pm year-round.
- The farm as a whole is operational seven days per week during peak season (summer and fall) including holidays. Field Crew members' weekly schedules during those months are either Sunday through Thursday (with a Fri/Sat weekend), or Tuesday through Saturday (with a Sun/Mon weekend).
- Some portions of some seasons historically have required work days extend to 6pm in the summer and fall, so we keep that as an option but not a likelihood. One hour of paid lunch break per day is allotted to all farm staff.
- This is an hourly position, with normal overtime hours paid at time-and-a-half.
- Perks include a weekly veggie farm share to take home, additional access to surplus produce, plus employee discounts at Siena Farms' retail sites as well as at family restaurants Oleana and Sofra.
- We do not offer on-farm housing
- We do offer employer sponsored health insurance to all full-time employees after 90 days from start date.
- Reliable transportation to and from the farm in Sudbury is required.
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!