We are seeking a hard-working, committed, talented individual motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2023 team as a Production Manager. Three or more seasons of previous experience operating tractors on a farm is required.
Siena Farms’ Production Manager is a core member of the year-round crop production management team for our 75-acre diversified produce farm. They, like all of our employees, are held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional work ethic, work pace, and work schedule. Of all of these values, respect and kindness for coworkers is the top priority, as everything else follows from that.
Primary responsibilities of our Production Manager include but are not limited to the planning, management, and execution of the following.
- Manage the year-round production of our crops, including vegetables, herbs, flowers, winter greens, and other specialty crops
- Assist our Greenhouse Manager in the production of transplants for field crops, microgreens, and high tunnel crops
- Assist our Mushroom Manager in various production tasks
- Operate machinery relating to the production of field crops, including but not limited to:
- Tractors, ranging from small cultivating tractors to large tillage/utility tractors
- Tractor implements for various purposes
- Trucks and trailers for various purposes
- Hand-held / small engine and electric tools for crop production and farm maintenance/improvement
- Manage ground prep, mechanical planting and seeding, mechanical cultivation, pest and disease management, cover-cropping, etc.
- Manage field work including season extension, fencing, weed management, twining, trellising, suckering, pruning, etc.
- Participate in weekly field tours to assess status of crop production, scout for pests/problems, and plan for upcoming production tasks of the week
- Assist Harvest Managers and other Siena Farms’ staff with proper post-harvest handling methods, crop storage, and distribution
- Manage the training of Siena Farms’ Apprentices and Field Crew into various production tasks
- Manage the execution, monitoring, and potential adjustments of our 2023 crop plan during the course of the season
- Participate in general farm upkeep, maintenance, and cleanliness
- Keep in close communication with Siena Farms' management team on all of the above
Secondary Responsibilities of our Production Manager, when and if the primary responsibilities described above are accomplished at any given time during the day, week, or season, and/or when it is asked of them by their manager(s) based on priorities of the farm as a whole, include but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting with crop harvest, wash-up, CSA and order packing, general farm facility care, infrastructure maintenance, new projects, deliveries, etc. Particularly in the autumn, members of the farm’s production team join our harvest team on a regular basis as tractor work slows down and harvest work peaks.
- Three or more seasons of previous experience operating tractors on a farm is required.
- Degree in agronomy or related field is preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with the necessary tools and equipment to perform day to day tasks around the farm
- A basic understanding of how farm machinery functions, and the ability to operate the machinery safely
- A basic understanding of farm machinery maintenance
- The ability to lift and carry 50+ lb objects
- A valid driver's license and safe driving record
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work efficiently and both independently and collaboratively on a team
- Interest in operating tractors for a majority of work schedule, particularly in the summer months
- A deep interest in soil conservation and farmland stewardship