Assistant Retail Manager
We are seeking hardworking, high-energy, positive individuals who are motivated by a career interest in food and sustainable agriculture to join our team. Siena Farms’ Assistant Retail Manager is a lead member of the year-round retail staff for our 75-acre non-certified organic vegetable farm. They are supervised by our Retail and Business Managers and by Farmer Chris, and work closely with other managers and members of the Siena Farms’ team, to help professionally operate and grow sales at Siena Farms South End, our Boston Public Market farm store, and possible additional future retail outlets.
Primary responsibilities of our Assistant Retail Manager include but are not limited to assisting our Retail Manager with the oversight and execution of the following areas:
- Daily retail sales and point-of-sale system entries
- Friendly and knowledgeable customer service
- Development and maintenance of opening-day and end-of-day protocols
- Product display, pricing, labeling, and quality control
- Product sourcing and ordering
- Sales and invoicing for chefs and other wholesale customers @ retail
- CSA promotion, sales, and customer service for members @ retail
- Market Card promotion, sales, and customer service
- Coordinating with our Office Manager on social media marketing
- Leadership in outreach and customer events, in the city and on the farm
- Recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of retail staff
- Training of retail assistants as well as occasional seasonal farm apprentices and crew into some or all of these retail activities
- Scheduling staff shifts at each retail location
- Flexibility and willingness to cover vacant retail shifts as needed or in emergency situations, including potential double-shifts periodically, with the understanding that if staff hiring, training, and scheduling goals are met, this should rarely be required
- Monthly product inventory
- Regular meetings and communication with our Retail Manager and with Farmer Chris, as well as with other farm managers and assistant managers
Secondary responsibilities of our Assistant Retail Manager, when and if the primary responsibilities of retail management are accomplished at any given time during the season, include but are not limited to the following: assisting out at the farm with crop production, harvest, wash-up, and CSA packs, office administrative duties and general business planning and development, etc.
Our Assistant Retail Manager, like all of our employees, is held to high standards for organization, inter-managerial/crew communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional work ethic and schedule.
This position is full-time and is available immediately. The weekly schedule will be discussed in detail during the interview process. Annual salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include a weekly CSA vegetable share, health insurance with monthly premiums fully covered by the employer, and staff discounts at our retail locations as well as Oleana, Sofra and Sarma.
- Experience in a retail setting or related field
- Customer service experience
- Working knowledge / interest in vegetables and cooking
- Excellent work ethic
- High level of attention to detail
- Ability to take direction as well as to operate independently
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs repeatedly
- Interest in sustainable agriculture
- Strong communication skills
If you think you may be a good fit for this position, please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org We look forward to hearing from you!