We are seeking a hard-working, committed, talented individual motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2022 team as an Assistant Production Manager. Siena Farms’ Assistant Production Manager is a core member of the year-round management team for our 75-acre organic produce farm. They are cooperatively responsible for assisting the management of all crop production enterprises on the farm. They will report to and be supervised by the Production Manager(s), Siena Farms’ Farm Manager, Business Manager, and Owner.
Our Assistant Production Manager position, like all of our employees, is held to high standards for organization, communication with coworkers, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional work ethic, work pace, and work schedule. Of all of these values, respect and kindness for coworkers is the top priority, as everything else good follows from that.
Primary responsibilities of our Assistant Production Manager include but are not limited to the planning, management, and execution of the following.
- Assist in managing year-round production of field crops including: vegetable crops, fruit crops, herb crops, and flower crops.
- Assist Siena Farms’ Greenhouse Manager(s) in the production of transplants for field crops, microgreens, and high/low tunnel crops
- Assist Siena Farms’ Mushroom Production Manager and Specialty Crops Production Manager with various tasks relating to the successful production of said enterprises
- Recognition and comprehension of Siena Farms’ various crop production methods and greenhouse production methods
- Operate machinery relating to the production of field crops, including but not limited to:
- Tractors of varying size and purpose
- Range of small cultivating tractors to high horsepower tillage/utility tractors including the use and operation of front end loaders
- Implements of varying purposes
- Trucks and trailers for various crop production/farm purposes
- Hand held/small engine and electric tools for crop production and farm maintenance/improvement
- Cooperatively manage post-planting crop care including: row cover and plastic cover, fencing, weed management, twining, trellising, suckering, pruning, and pest management.
- Participate in weekly field tours to assess status of crop production, scout for pests/problems, and plan for upcoming production tasks of the week
- Assisting Harvest Managers and other Siena Farms’ Staff with proper post harvest handling methods and storage
- Assisting in the training and managing of Siena Farms’ Apprentices and Field Crew
- Assist in the development and execution of the Siena Farms crop plan
- Participation and leadership in general farm upkeep and cleanliness
- Keep close communication with the Farm Manager on all farm activities
Secondary Responsibilities of our Assistant Production Manager, when and if the primary responsibilities described above are accomplished at any given time during the day, week, or season, and/or when it is asked of them by their manager(s) based on priorities of the farm as a whole, include but are not limited to the following:
- Assisting with crop harvest, wash-up, CSA and order packing, general farm facility care, infrastructure maintenance, new projects, deliveries, etc. Particularly in the autumn, members of the farm’s production team are expected to contribute meaningful labor toward the harvest team on an as-needed but typically regular basis.
- At least 2 seasons of previous farming experience, with at least 1 season of on-farm equipment/tractor operation experience
- Familiarity with the necessary tools to perform day to day tasks around the farm
- A basic understanding of how farm machinery functions, and the ability to operate the machinery safely
- Basic understanding of farm machinery maintenance
- The ability to lift and carry 50+ lb objects
- A valid driver's license and safe driving record
- Strong communication skills
- Interest in developing their knowledge of agriculture and crop production
- Ability to work efficiently and both independently and collaboratively on a team
- All Siena Farms’ Assistant Production Managers should consider themselves “Stewards of the Land” and understand what it means to be a farmer
- Resource Conservation
- Environmental Impacts of Farming
The Assistant Production Manager position is seasonal, from March through December, with the potential to move into a year-round role. The position is full-time, with hours ranging from 40-60 hr/week, depending on the time of year. One paid hour of lunch break per day is allotted to all farm staff on any given work day.
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation includes a competitive salary and paid vacation package, as well as full employer-covered health insurance benefits. All employees of Siena Farms are also provided with a year-round CSA membership (weekly farm shares) throughout the period of employment, additional access to after-market produce, plus employee discounts on products at Siena Farms’ retail sites as well as at family restaurants– Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma.