We are seeking individuals who are motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2022 team!
Siena Farms’ apprentices are hard-working, committed, honest, passionate individuals who participate in many daily farm operations, including production, harvest and processing. We expect each apprentice to approach tasks thoughtfully and purposefully, embracing a team work-ethic — it’s only by working together that we will attain the farms’ goals for quality production, and our apprentices’ personal goals like gaining farming knowledge, professional work-experience, and reaching potential next steps in their farming career.
Our apprenticeship program is modeled on traditional methods of learning a skilled trade through hands-on experience. We believe that an important way to learn to farm is by doing it in the real world. That is why we rely on our apprentices as integral, productive members of our fast-paced, for-profit, 75-acre farm operation. They are here to work, really really hard. And, they are here to learn. We encourage questions, we encourage ideas, and we promise to listen.
The apprentice position is seasonal. Applicants should be prepared to lift upwards of 50lbs repeatedly and work in all weather conditions. Previous farming experience is preferred but not required.
Areas of responsibilities for apprentices will include but are not limited to the following;
- Planting, including greenhouse propagation and mechanical transplanting
- Cultivation/weed-control by hand and hoe
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing & thinning
- Mushroom and specialty crop production as well as our larger scale veggie production.
- Daily harvest of our 150+ varieties of vegetables, fresh herbs, and flowers
- Post-harvest handling, including washing, curing, packing, and transporting produce
- Preparation and packing of orders for restaurant deliveries and our retail stores in Boston
- Preparation and packing of CSA Farm Shares for pickup and distribution
- Participation in farm outreach events such as CSA member farm-tours & volunteer days
- Bi-weekly participation in Eastern Massachusetts CRAFT farm-tours
- Group field walks with Farmer Chris and farm managers to learn from the fields and crops themselves
Our Apprentices, like all of our employees, are held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional agricultural work ethic and schedule.
- Position is seasonal with flexible start and end dates from March through November
- Hours range from 50-60 hours per week, ramping up to peak production and harvest from June to November
- The farm operates seven days a week in peak season, including holidays. Apprentices work five days per week with schedules that are either Sunday through Thursday (thus Fri/Sat weekends) or Tuesday through Saturday (thus Sun/Mon weekends).
- Vacation days are strictly limited to an average of one day per month through the duration of the apprenticeship. It's a "make hay while the sun shines!" kind of situation.
- $14.25/hour, with overtime paid ($21.38/hour) for any hours over 40 in a single work-week; one hour paid lunch
- Farm-perks include weekly CSA share, and employee discounts at Siena Farms South End, Siena Farms BPM, and family restaurants Oleana, Sofra, and Sarma. Health insurance is available to all full time employees of Siena Farms after 3 months of employment.
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!