We are seeking a hardworking, positive, and business-oriented individual to manage our Boston farm store operations.
Siena Farms’ Retail Manager is the lead member of the year-round retail staff for our 50-acre non-certified organic vegetable farm. S/he reports to Farmer Chris, and works closely with other managers and members of the Siena Farms’ team, to help professionally operate and grow sales at Siena Farms South End, our Boston Public Market farmstore, the Copley Square Farmers’ Market, and possible additional future retail outlets.
Our Retail Manager, like all of our employees, is held to high standards for organization, inter-managerial/crew communication, relentlessly positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional work ethic and schedule.
This position is considered a full-time, year-round position, averaging 50 hours/week, spread over 5 days per week. Core schedule is to-be-determined in close communication with Farmer Chris in terms of balance between on-site shifts at Siena Farms South End, Boston Public Market, Copley Market, and farm/office time. Availability on “traditional” weekend days (Sat/Sun) is required for all retail staff, with the goal for weekends being two consecutive days, one of which is a Saturday or a Sunday. If and when “extra-shifts” are required on any given day, due to lack of staffing or emergencies, these extra shifts will be considered as part of normal managerial duties and will not be compensated apart from regular salary nor be credited toward extra vacation days.
Compensation includes salary, weekly CSA share, and discounts in our farm stores and family restaurants.
Primary responsibilities of our Retail Manager include but are not limited to the oversight and execution of the following:
- Daily retail sales and point-of-sale system entries
- Friendly and knowledgeable customer service
- Development and maintenance of opening-day and end-of-day protocols
- Product display, pricing, labeling, and quality control
- Product sourcing and ordering
- Sales and invoicing for chefs and other wholesale customers
- CSA promotion, sales, and customer service for members
- Market Card promotion, sales, and customer service
- Coordinating with our Office Manager on social media marketing
- Leadership in outreach and customer events, in the city and on the farm
- Recruiting, interviewing, and hiring of retail staff
- Training of assistant retail manager(s) and retail assistants, as well as occasional seasonal farm apprentices and crew into some or all of these retail activities
- Scheduling staff shifts at each retail location
- Flexibility and willingness to cover vacant retail shifts as needed or in emergency situations, including potential double-shifts periodically, with the understanding that if staff hiring, training, and scheduling goals are met, this should rarely be required
- Monthly product inventory
- Regular meetings and communication with Farmer Chris, as well as with other farm managers and assistant managers
- Secondary responsibilities of our Retail Manager, when and if the primary responsibilities of retail management are accomplished at any given time during the season, include but are not limited to the following: assisting out at the farm with crop production, harvest, wash-up, and CSA packs, office administrative duties and general business planning and development, etc.
- At least 1 year of experience in retail operations
- Experience ordering product and managing inventory
- Strong organizational skills
- Keen attention to detail and merchandising standards
- Patient and effective communicator
- Interest in local food & agriculture!
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org We look forward to hearing from you!