Siena Farms’ Harvest Manager is a core member of Siena Farms’ year-round management team. S/he works closely with a Harvest Co-Manager, other farm managers and staff to carefully and efficiently manage harvest, wash-up, packing, and distribution of our farm products; participate in various aspects of crop production; co-manage the farm’s greenhouse production; co-manage the hiring and training of seasonal farm apprentices; and participate in general farm management duties such as crop planning, business planning, and organizational systems development. Our Harvest Manager position is a salaried, full-time, year-round position, with a flexible start date between between now and May 2020. Previous farming experience required; tractor experience preferred but not required.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Daily/weekly management of harvests, wash-up, and other post-harvest handling activities
- Management of CSA harvests, packs, and distribution, in close coordination with office manager and driver
- Management of market and retail harvests and packs, in close coordination with Farmer Chris and retail managers
- Management of wholesale orders, harvests, and packs, including sending weekly pricelists, compiling and confirming orders, and invoicing
- Wholesale account management, outreach, and communications, with the goal of increasing sales to restaurants and other wholesale accounts
- Training and oversight of apprentices and other farm crew members involved with harvest activities on any given day
- Oversight of weekly greenhouse seedings year-round, according to seasonal field crop plan as well as winter micro-greens schedule
- Ordering seeds for weekly greenhouse seedings
- Oversight of daily watering needs and temp control
- Oversight of disease and pest management in the greenhouse
- As time, interest, and needs enable, participation in tractor work such as plowing, harrowing, bed-forming, transplanting, cultivating, mowing, amendment spreading, and cover cropping
- Participation in manual field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing, hand-weeding, hoeing, and irrigation; helping co-managers train apprentices into these tasks
- Co-managing the hiring and on-boarding of seasonal apprentices; processing applications, interviews, hiring, and orientation.
- Leading of regular check-ins with apprentices during the season
General Farm Management
- Participation in seasonal planning meetings to develop annual crop plans and field plans; staffing, equipment, and marketing plans; and other business development strategies
- Participation in weekly manager meetings year-round, as well as regular field tours during the season
- Liaison for apprentices’ C.R.A.F.T farm visit schedule
- Daily communication with crop production managers to coordinate workflow between harvest priorities and production priorities each day.
- Leadership in general farm upkeep, cleanliness, workplace safety, and food safety
- Assisting with repair and maintenance of equipment, buildings, and other infrastructure
- Participation in periodic farm events such as our Annual CSA Farm Tour and our Annual Old-Fashioned Carrot Pulls
- Participation and leadership in periodic team-building social events for farm staff
Our Harvest Manager, like all of our employees, is held to the high standards outlined in our handbook for organization, inter-managerial/crew communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional agricultural work ethic and schedule. Of all these, respect and kindness for coworkers comes first; everything else follows.
Please email a letter of interest and a resumé to firstname.lastname@example.org We look forward to hearing from you!